Friday, September 10, 2010

Ode to my Boys


They say to fully understand someone, you have to know where they came from.




Me, I'm the oldest of 4. The oldest of three younger brothers. Three younger brothers with strong, crazy, boy personalities. I've always told people that once you met my family, you'd understand.

My poor mother. I'm sure she tried, prayed, cried over trying to make sure I grew up some what feminine. There's only so much you can do when you're surrounded by boys all the time. When other girls were having tea parties and playing dress up I was rolling down our yard in giant refrigerator boxes, drawing beards on with my mothers eye liner pencil, and building forts that rivaled Fort Sumter. Our version of dress up was putting on my dad's clothes, which swallowed us, and then stuffing the extra room with pillows pretending to be fat people. Then we would eat cheesy poofs and wander around the house completely amused by ourselves.

My mother tried her hardest to protect the little girl inside of me that was emotionally squished due to the amount of testosterone that I grew up with. My bows always matched my dresses, and oh, there were ALWAYS bows. My hair was curled, when she figured out how to manage it, and my socks had frills that covered my entire shoe.

However....
Currently my toe nail is a lovely shade of violet charcoal. I would name it "violent midnight" if I had to pick some sort of weird, eclectic nail polish color.
Did I get a pedicure?
Nope.
Dropped my brothers kayak on it......3 months ago.
Mom, you did well. I can throw on a little black dress and wear heals with the best of them. However, if you know me at all, you know I'm ten times more "Cam" in Chacos, athletic clothes (preferably spandex), and wandering somewhere outside.




I blame this partly on him.

Oldest of my brothers and someone I could spend hours upon days at a time with and never grow tired of. He loves adventure and the outdoors just as much as I do and does a great job of calling me into it more. He'll be competing in his first Triathlon with me in October!



And these are the other two. They're just as crazy, and jacked.



We've gone shooting with semi automatics....





Climbed on the roof during a lightning storm to watch the splendor race across the sky.


Rolled kayaks in the pool. (also during a thunderstorm. Mom really hates when we do this)


Almost wrecked snowmobiles in Jackson Hole....




Mastered the art of racing sleeping bags down the basement stairs.


Ridden big wheels down a side walk and off the dock into the lake.


and countless other crazy memories...


As I've gotten older I've realized just how much I appreciate the crazy, boy dominated, adventuresome family I grew up in. It played such a huge part in who I am, and also the things I enjoy now. So, thank you brothers. Thank you for playing a huge part in who I am today by being who you are! Life wouldn't be as fun or as wonderful without you!

Love,
Sister Bear

L to R: Parker (aka P-Rimz), Mitchell (Mitchy Man), Harrison (Brother Bear)


No comments: